How to ingest an RTMP feed and output it in multi-quality HLS for Akamai?
HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) is a professional quality protocol compatible with a wide range of devices and firewalls. It also allows the users' side to dynamically request the best feed depending on available bandwidth and the device used thanks to the fact that HLS embeds multiple streams.
Setting up an HLS feed using LiveU Studio will allow you to:
- Stream to professional platforms such as Akamai
- Embed multiple quality in the same feed
- Reduce your production cost
Let's start and learn how to ingest an RTMP feeds and convert into HLS.
Adding an RTMP Input
- In the Production Studio (1).
- Add an input (2).
- In the Live Source tab (3).
- Select Encoder (Push) (4).
- Select your encoder in the list, otherwise, select Other Encoder.
- Copy the provided Server URL & Stream name.
Send to LiveU Studio
- Enable the Other Encoder input by clicking on it (5).
Please note that to preview a live source you need to be in Testing or Publishing phase (6).
- The default RTMP URL provided by LiveU Studio "rtmp://p.studio.liveu.tv/live/" will automatically choose the closest server to your encoder (lowest latency).
You also have the possibility to select a specific server location via the "ingest" button.
- Copy/paste the server URL & Stream name (Stream Key) into your streaming software (OBS/Xsplit/..) and start streaming.
- Check that your feed is received by LiveU Studio.
Publish the feed in HLS
- Go back to setting up in LiveU Studio
- Create your Akamai HLS Stream URL(s):
Akamai provides you with a Stream ID that needs to be used in the next step.
Example with 3 qualities (Stream ID : 222222 and Event name: event1)
Akamai URL(s) is displayed like that :
- Quality 1 URL: https://p-ep222222.i.akamaientrypoint.net/222222/event1/1.m3u8
- Quality 2 URL: https://p-ep222222.i.akamaientrypoint.net/222222/event1/2.m3u8
- Quality 3 URL: https://p-ep222222.i.akamaientrypoint.net/222222/event1/3.m3u8
Once your URLs are generated
- If you want to send in several quality, add the desired formats with the Add formats & Add quality button in the Publication section.
Please note that if you are publishing to Akamai, please get in touch with your sales rep to enable the Min keyframe interval parameters in the quality part (mandatory to publish on Akamai).
- Once enabled, setup the MinKframeinterval to "Keyframe interval" (A & B).
- Paste each URL(s) in an HLS publishing point depending on the desired output quality created previously.
Please note that you need to select all your HLS output points BEFORE going to publishing.
- Start publishing and recording.
- Add as many formats as necessary and duplicate the same HLS publication point for each format.
Please note that the output bitrate is not available in the stats when publishing to Akamai.
That's it! You are publishing live to Akamai in multiple formats.
I try to publish in HLS to another service than Akamai but it does not work -> Contact your LiveU sales representative
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the LiveU Studio Support team via our Live Chat.