Use the feed from a remote guest and customize his video return experience
A remote guest is someone that you invite on your live stream session, he is not necesseraly based on the same location that yours. Inviting him to the show, you can retrieve his camera and/or his audio to display them in you live feed. He can interact with you or with your host during the live stream as with participants.
The advantage of adding remote guests to your live show are to:
- Interact live with people all over the world.
- Reduce your production and travel costs.
- Allow you to be more flexible.
With LiveU Studio, you have a feature that allows you to add your remote guest's live stream with just a few clicks. Discover the steps right here:
Use the feed from a remote guest
- In the Production Studio (1).
- Start the Test phase (2) (only when you want to preview the feed of your remote guest).
- Add an input (3).
- In the Live source tab (4)
- Select Remote capture (5).
- Share the provided link with your remote guest.
- Enable the Remote capture live source in the control room by clicking on it.
By default, your guest will see his video return as well as the return of the program feed as below.
The "Group" chat on the right gathers messages from other remote guests as well as live comments received on YouTube/Twitch and Facebook (if the live is published to one of these platforms with the native integration and if the feature is enabled on this account).
Note that the guest audio return is disabled by default to avoid any echo problems.
From the guest side you will be able to apply some effect on your camera such as light blur, blur, and green screen.
Customize his video return experience
- Enter the remote guest settings panel (A & B).
On the left side of the interface (C) you can :
- Manage the audio/video settings of your guest (quality, format, fps of the stream your guest will send you).
- Enable the screen sharing option for the remote guest (this will create an entry named "Name_of_the_guest-screenshare" in the LiveU Studio production studio). Please change the upload quality of the guest to 720p or 1080p so that the screenshare is optimal.
On the central part (D) it is possible to :
- Manage your guest's video returns by selecting a template from the list and assigning video returns to it. Your guest will see the template that you have assigned to him/her as well as the feeds that you have authorized him/her to see.
- After editing your guest video return -> Save the remote settings.
- Open the previously sent link
PC, Mac, Linux, Android users, please use Google Chrome.
iPhone/Ipad (IOS) users, please only use Safari.
For Huawei mobile users, please use only Mozilla Firefox.
Please note that we recommend the following bandwidths depending on the desired sending quality:
- 0.5 Mb/s to stream in the minimum required quality.
- 1.5 Mb/s to stream in 480p SD.
- 2.5 Mb/s to stream in 720p HD.
- 4 Mb/s to stream in 1080p HD.
If needed, allow LiveU Studio to use the devices' microphone/camera.
- When ready to stream, simply click on "Start & join".
- Return to the LiveU Studio platform to check if the stream is received (if not, check the status of your internet connection, the bandwidth on your device may be too low).
* If you get a gray screen or a sound problem -> check that you have no Bluetooth speakers or other audio devices that could conflict with the LiveU Studio system.
Please note that in case of problems connecting with a remote guest (opening the link, displaying the video, etc.) we recommend to:
-Check if the recommanded browser is used and update it to the latest version
-Open the remote guest link in a private window
CHECKLIST FOR YOUR REMOTE SPEAKERS WORKFLOW
Before the rehearsal, share and go through this cheat sheet with all your remote speakers.
- Start the test on LiveU Studio. We even recommend recording your session as a reference.
- Then, share the correct link to each remote speaker.
Now test everything that matters
- connect one by one your speakers and put them on the program.
- listen to each of them in the Control Room AND on the output of the control room.
Check the stream on VLC.
- In the LiveU Studio Publish tab (1), click on the RTMP recording button (2) and copy the provided URL.
- Paste this URL in VLC (Open network stream).
- You can now look at the quality we are currently delivering.
- Make sure that each speaker is sending stereo audio (on both sides).
- test all your hotkeys / scenes to make sure everyone is sitting correctly for all hotkeys.
- Make everyone talk with each other and tell everyone to use the exact same device in the same conditions for the real show!
Ready to go live? Start publishing & record. Enjoy.
- How the automated guests feature works?
- How to create an IFB (Interruptible foldback)?
- Enable the screensharing feature for my remote guest
- You want to disable some remote guest features like echo cancellation, auto gain control,...?
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the LiveU Studio Support team via our Live Chat.